Friday, January 27, 2012

3 things thursday on a rainy friday.

day late and, as usual, a dollar short.

1. I'm in NYC for work. There are some things I miss desperately about NYC (being able to walk to coffee and NYC bagel on a Sunday morning, cabs that take credit, my peoples), but when  I come back now, in general I feel a million miles away. Some things that were so 'innate' as a New Yorker are SO foreign already - knowing exactly where no the subway platform to stand, knowing the best corner to catch a cab, knowing exactly how long it takes to get from the uptown office to downtown, etc. A few things I definitely DO NOT miss:

-the street noise. oh the street noise. drunks at 1am, garbage truck at 3am, recycling at 5am. Does not make a 5:45 wake up call to swim easy. These are things you get used to night after night, but that familiarlity is most definitely GONE.

-the 89 degree pool. No, seriously, it was 89 DEGREES this morning. I am so glad to see my old teammates and have a great group to swim with and challenge me, however, my 200 times were a good 10+ seconds slower this morning vs. last Friday morning. Yes, it could have been the less than 5 hours sleep, the 75 minute yoga with A ZILLION side planks last night, or the second glass of red, but I am blaming the water temp. It feels thick and gross and I think I sweat out 5 pounds.

-walking in the rain. It's been a dreary few days, and dragging a little suitcase, a laptop, a purse and trying to keep dry under an umbrella is a talent. A talent you quick learn the art of in NYC, but a talent I have clearly forgotten.

All that being said, I love this city. I know how lucky I am to have a job that makes it possible to get here on a regular basis, to have lifelong friends that will do yoga with me, swim with me, and give me a couch to sleep on with no hesitation, and the feel and site of the city still takes my breath away.

View from the office, 1/25.
2. Sunday I am running a half marathon. I have not run the distance since my last half marathon last March. Not gonna lie, I'm a little nervous. I'm not sure how my body is going to react past the 90 minute mark. Should be interesting.

3. The first half of my week consisted of reviewing 3 African language back translations for various behavioral questionnaires. Although tedious, it is actually one of my favorite parts of my jobs. It's amazing how many ways and words can be used to describe some very sensitive and intimate behaviors. The process is so interesting and really illuminates how languages and words work in different ways in different languages, and it also provides COUNTLESS stories that may make your grandmother blush - stories that only get better after a few beers. Ask me sometime.


3 comments:

  1. Hot pools are disgusting, and definitely make you swim slower. It's just like running in hot, humid conditions.

    Have a great race this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you will be thrilled (?) to hear that the pool was 86 degrees this morning. what is wrong with people? also, come home and swim/bike/run with me k thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you run really fast, you won't have to worry about running past the 90 minute mark. Have a great race!

    ReplyDelete