Friday, January 23, 2009

Weekend Half Marathon

I am doing a half marathon on Sunday.  

Two years ago, this was my second half marathon ever.  It was SO SO cold before the start, my hands literally froze in little balls and I almost stopped at the medical tent after 1 mile to de-thaw.  I ended up finishing, dropped over 12 minutes from my previous half marathon time, completely suprising myself in the process - it was the first time that I actaully considered that I could become a 'runner'.  

This was before I started training with a running group- before tempo, intervals, or hill repeats.  I ran because I loved running, it was new and fun, usually between 14-20 miles per week.  I almost always ran outside, with a friend, at the friend's pace.  I didn't record how long the run took, or the average pace.   I had a paper training log with funny notes

That run remains my second best half marathon time ever.  

So my 'race' plan this weekend is to run 1.5 miles to the start, and just RUN.  After a year of struggling with aches and pains and worry about doing too much and re-injuring myself.   That fear is FINALLY gone.

Now I just need to find that place again when racing is fun, and find the pure JOY of running fast. 

That is my A, B and C goal for the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment