Friday, June 28, 2013

ONE MONTH

FIRST - a quick recap of the Diabolical Double: Read my awesome training partners recaps of their days here and here. And then imagine of the exact opposite (as well as the exact opposite of my experience last year) - and that was my day. In a nutshell, at the second rest stop (about mile 40?) I made the wise decision to let my girls go ahead, do what was best for me on that day and drop down to the 102 mile route. I'm also VERY proud that I do not consider this a failure and was able to turn around one of the most challenging mental and physical days I've had on the bike in the last 14 miles.  Some days you just don't have 'it' and sadly, from the start, it was clear my 'it' did not show up to ride 125 miles and climb 16,000 feet.

HOWEVER - In general, things are moving along. Today marks ONE MONTH exactly to Placid. The past three week block has help my confidence about where I am and where I may be come race day, but I just got my schedule through the race and I realize I still have A LOT of work ahead of me, which is a good thing.

This year's approach has been very different than last year's build. Last year was all about crossing the finish line happy and healthy. This year - these things are still at the top of my goal list, but my coach has designed a program that will allow me to approach my pacing race day a bit more aggressively, if I choose to do so. I am still a bit uncertain how it will all play out, but as the weeks progress, I am a bit more confident in my current fitness and abilities.

However, a different approach makes it impossible to compare last year vs. this year, which as a type A athlete, is frustrating and freeing at the same time. I can't compare the number of rides over 6 hours I did last year vs. this year, because the structure is totally different. My rides may be shorter, but they are at a higher heart rate with specific goals built in. I can't compare my long runs and I realized yesterday I DEFINITELY cannot compare my taper period. This year will be 10 days of HARD work then 10 days of gradual rest going into the race. This means a long run much closer to the race than last year, and a longer ride the weekend prior to the race. It's scary, and I know that my taper could be hit or miss. But I've accepted it and mapped out my way to July 28th.

One of my goals for this training cycle was to let go a bit of the 'data' side of things. I am only keeping 1 very loose training log  and hardly recording paces - just notes on how things 'felt'. I looked today and I haven't downloaded any data off my Garmin since November last year.  I have only be using it to guide me through track work and monitor my HR on long rides. This approach has helped me get through the weeks, especially as I get more and more broken down. I can't stress about my pace this week vs. my pace two weeks ago on a 2 hour run, because I haven't been looking.

All this to say - the work is getting done, I am feeling MUCH better about my fitness than I was a month ago, but in all honestly I still have no idea what will come on race day, but I am 100% more excited than I was a month ago.






No comments:

Post a Comment