I've had some trouble readjusting to the East Coast. Let's leave it at that. I had an amazing trip, got in way more training than I expected, and also was able to pretty much hit every workout this past weekend while painfully trying to cure my jet lag.
Most Tuesdays I have a tempo/lactate threshold interval run. They hurt, in a good way. I like them because I have seen progress, been able to learn about HR and pace and hills and wind. But I also I dread them. Like I said, they hurt.
So I set my alarm to do the run Tuesday morning (warm up + drills, 2x15 minute LT intervals with 5 minutes active rest, warm down). I finally caved and took something to help me sleep on Monday evening. When I woke up, thinking my alarm had gone off, I convinced myself with every reason available that I should keep sleeping and do the run in the afternoon. When I picked up my phone to reset my alarm, it was actually 4am and my alarm had, in fact, never gone off.
Fail #1.
Skip to Tuesday evening. I rushed home, the weather was great, my stomach felt fine, and I had a quick snack. I headed out about 6pm. After the first 15 minutes and a quick stop at McDonalds (that is roughly .25 mile from my house) it was very clear that my stomach wasn't going to agree with this run, and mentally I just wasn't there either. So after completing warm up and some drills, I decided to simply listen to my body and enjoy the weather. 50 minutes and 4 miles of walking/jogging/running later I was feeling defeated and down on myself. So I made a mental deal with myself: I would not look at this run as a failure, I was being honest and listening to my body, and I would try one more time, Wednesday morning, to get the run done.
Fail #2.
Fortunately, it seems the jet lag has finally passed. I was able to fall asleep at a roughly normal time last night. [I did however, have a dream that when I woke up, it had snowed and I couldn't find my Yax Trax, so I clearly couldn't do the run.] I woke up, only snoozed once, and was out the door by 6:45am. From the get go, it was clear there was no pep in my legs, but I mentally committed to the run. Whatever the HR was I was going to complete the 15 minute intervals - and I wasn't going to look at pace until I got home. So I did it. Yes it was sort of awful and I couldn't get my heart rate over 150, but it is done. The pace and HR aren't even close to what they were for the same run 3 weeks ago, but mentally, this was a win.
In the past 4 weeks, I have learned that you can't take Ironman training workout-by-workout. You will slowly go insane and have no confidence and doubt every step (or stroke) you take. Traveling has taken a toll. My body has been confused and screaming at times - but I've gotten the work done. Sure, there was a week when I felt like I hadn't swam in YEARS, and yes, this morning's run I couldn't get my HR out of the 140s during 'tempo' - but I am focusing on the big picture:
Now, for some random musings:
1. Why are all the squirrels near the airport black? Had anyone else noticed this?
2. Ducking into holly bushes to avoid bike commuters riding 3 abreast on a narrow trail - not recommended. I have scratches on my face to prove I didn't win.
3. I really want to start bike commuting, but I'm weirdly scared about it for some reason. This makes no sense. I live 10 miles from work, I can ride 9 of those 10 miles on trails. It takes roughly 45 minutes to drive to work in the mornings - riding should be a no brainer.
Most Tuesdays I have a tempo/lactate threshold interval run. They hurt, in a good way. I like them because I have seen progress, been able to learn about HR and pace and hills and wind. But I also I dread them. Like I said, they hurt.
So I set my alarm to do the run Tuesday morning (warm up + drills, 2x15 minute LT intervals with 5 minutes active rest, warm down). I finally caved and took something to help me sleep on Monday evening. When I woke up, thinking my alarm had gone off, I convinced myself with every reason available that I should keep sleeping and do the run in the afternoon. When I picked up my phone to reset my alarm, it was actually 4am and my alarm had, in fact, never gone off.
Fail #1.
Skip to Tuesday evening. I rushed home, the weather was great, my stomach felt fine, and I had a quick snack. I headed out about 6pm. After the first 15 minutes and a quick stop at McDonalds (that is roughly .25 mile from my house) it was very clear that my stomach wasn't going to agree with this run, and mentally I just wasn't there either. So after completing warm up and some drills, I decided to simply listen to my body and enjoy the weather. 50 minutes and 4 miles of walking/jogging/running later I was feeling defeated and down on myself. So I made a mental deal with myself: I would not look at this run as a failure, I was being honest and listening to my body, and I would try one more time, Wednesday morning, to get the run done.
Fail #2.
Fortunately, it seems the jet lag has finally passed. I was able to fall asleep at a roughly normal time last night. [I did however, have a dream that when I woke up, it had snowed and I couldn't find my Yax Trax, so I clearly couldn't do the run.] I woke up, only snoozed once, and was out the door by 6:45am. From the get go, it was clear there was no pep in my legs, but I mentally committed to the run. Whatever the HR was I was going to complete the 15 minute intervals - and I wasn't going to look at pace until I got home. So I did it. Yes it was sort of awful and I couldn't get my heart rate over 150, but it is done. The pace and HR aren't even close to what they were for the same run 3 weeks ago, but mentally, this was a win.
In the past 4 weeks, I have learned that you can't take Ironman training workout-by-workout. You will slowly go insane and have no confidence and doubt every step (or stroke) you take. Traveling has taken a toll. My body has been confused and screaming at times - but I've gotten the work done. Sure, there was a week when I felt like I hadn't swam in YEARS, and yes, this morning's run I couldn't get my HR out of the 140s during 'tempo' - but I am focusing on the big picture:
- In the last 30 days - between 2 international trips, moving, and managing a huge project that kicks off tomorrow (fingers crossed), I have run almost 100 miles.
- Despite the random off day, swimming feels the best it has in years and I am completing sets and holding intervals that make me really happy and REALLY excited for this year.
- I am still 4 months from my race.
Now, for some random musings:
1. Why are all the squirrels near the airport black? Had anyone else noticed this?
2. Ducking into holly bushes to avoid bike commuters riding 3 abreast on a narrow trail - not recommended. I have scratches on my face to prove I didn't win.
3. I really want to start bike commuting, but I'm weirdly scared about it for some reason. This makes no sense. I live 10 miles from work, I can ride 9 of those 10 miles on trails. It takes roughly 45 minutes to drive to work in the mornings - riding should be a no brainer.
Regarding the squirrels, I think that there was one very prolific black squirrel in Arlington about a decade ago.
ReplyDeleteOne of my college mascots was a black squirrel. They were all over the campus. Anyhow, I'm more scared of biking on the trails than I am of riding in the city. I think you will be fine :)
ReplyDeleteLastly - yippee to no more traveling. This will make IM training so much easier.
yes. stop traveling so we can ride together. ok good.
ReplyDelete