Thursday, April 5, 2012

The 5k.

Turns out, since I started running in 2005 [as a bored, trying-to-lose weight, broke grad student] I have only run (or at least logged) 2 stand along 5ks. Both were the same course, both a hilly trail route in the Bronx in NYC. Both races were within :12 seconds of each other, and my current PR stands at 22:46 (7:20 pace) from 2009.

Tomorrow night, I am running the Crystal Run 5k. I'm using it as a benchmark RPE/HR test, and also to see how much I have learned to HURT while running in the past 3 weeks. My instructions are simple:


Go hard from the get-go.  Seek out the pain.  Even if a part of you is already begging to stop, aim to increase your pace a bit on every kilometer.

I'm aiming for a sub-7 pace. I think it's a very aggressive goal for right now, but I'm going to put it out there. The watch will be set on total time, and will not autolap [OK, maybe it will....], but again, the goal is not to let numbers on a watch define how fast I can run.It's been a good week so far. My body is responding to training, the aches and pains are getting fewer and farther between, and my head is in a good place. So let's see....

4 comments:

  1. Have a great race! I'll be there playing sherpa for the boyfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck tonight!

    Also I have never really ran a 5k either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw the results on twitter, congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete